National Adoption Day
National Adoption Day was created to raise awareness of the more than 123,000 children waiting to be adopted from foster care in the United States. The day was founded by the Dave Thomas (the founder of Wendy’s) Foundation for Adoption, the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute, the Alliance for Children’s Rights and the Children’s Action Network.
Date of the Holiday:
The holiday is celebrated on the Saturday before Thanksgiving falling on the following dates:
November 18, 2019
November 21, 2020
November 20, 2021
November 24, 2022
November 18, 2023
November 23, 2024
November 22, 2025
November 21, 2026
Type of Holiday:
How to Celebrate the Holiday:
- Adopt a child who is in foster care (there is a process for this. Please look into your local foster care).
- Donate money to those in need who are in foster care.
- Attend a rally for the holiday.
Trivia/Facts about the special day:
- The day was founded by the Dave Thomas (the founder of Wendy’s) Foundation for Adoption, the Congressional Coalition on Adoption Institute, the Alliance for Children’s Rights and the Children’s Action Network.
- The Saturday before Thanksgiving on November 18, 2000, was the first time courts in seven cities were opened to finalize adoptions from foster care.
- More than 400 cities now celebrate the day.
Social Media Hashtags:
Famous People who Celebrate their Birthday on November 18th:
- Megyn Kelly – .American Journalist
- Owen Wilson – American actor
- Chloë Sevigny – Actress
- Margaret Atwood – Environmental Activist
- Damon Wayans Jr. 36, American
- Kevin Nealon – Comedian
- Linda Evans – Actress
- David Ortiz – Baseball Player
- Fabolous – Rapper
Another holiday celebrated today is Mickey Mouse’s Birthday
Read more about National Adoption Day here.