International Bikini Day is celebrated on July 5th, coincidentally the same day as National Hawaii Day. July 5th is the day the bikini was invented, by Paris designer, Louis Reard. Due to how revealing it was, the bikini took time to take off in the fashion world. The swimsuit became more acceptable as film stars like Brigitte Bardot and Raquel Welch were photographed wearing them.
When is Bikini Day:
Annually on July 5th
Holidays Celebrated on July 5th:
National Hawaii Day
National Bikini Day
Type of Holiday:
How to Celebrate Bikini Day:
- Wear a bikini all day.
- Go to the beach with friends and wear your favorite bikini.
- Buy a bikini to commemorate the day.
- Have a pool party and wear your bikini.
Facts/Trivia about the Day:
- The bikini was invented, by Paris designer, Louis Reard in 1946.
- A bikini is typically a two piece swimsuit, with two triangles on top.
- To be classified as a bikini – the navel must be showing.
- Due to how revealing it was, the bikini wasn’t an instant hit and took time to take off.
- The swimsuit became more acceptable as film stars like Brigitte Bardot and Raquel Welch wore them and were photographed on public beaches and seen in movies.
- In many countries the bikini was banned from beaches and other public places.
- Bikinis are an $800 million dollar business.
- Model, Heidi Klum, has her own swimwear line.
- Besides black, another popular color for bikinis are various shades of blue and hot pink.
- Mismatched bikinis are on trend in 2019 and 2020.
Famous Birthdays on July 5th:
- Pauly D. – American DJ, Television Personality.
- Edie Falco – American Actress.
- Huey Lewis – American Singer
Other holidays celebrated on July 5th include:
- National Apple Turnover Day
- National Graham Cracker Day
- National Hawaii Day
- National Workaholics Day
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#internationalbikiniday #bikiniday #ilovethebikini