Cinco de Mayo
While Cinco de Mayo is celebrated in the U.S. by going out for a margarita, do you know what you are celebrating? The day honors the victory of Mexico over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. The Mexicans did not win the war but did win this battle. It lasted for four hours.
When is Cinco de Mayo Celebrated?
Annually on May 5th
Type of Holiday?
How is Cinco de Mayo celebrated?
- Celebrations are held with a focus on Mexica cuisine, dance and culture are held at bars, eateries, schools, and communities
- In the US it celebrated by eating tacos, enchiladas, guacamole and drinking margaritas and beer
- Mariachi bands play in parades and Mexican restaurants
- Reenactments of the battle in 1862 are performed in the Mexican Town of Pueblo
Cinco de Mayo Day Trivia/Facts:
- Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for May 5th
- The only place in Mexico that it is celebrated is in the town of Puebla.
- The largest Cinco de Mayo celebration is held in Los Angeles, California and is called “Festival de Fiesta Broadway”
- The first US celebration was started by a group of California State University Students in 1967
- More than 81 million avocados are eaten by Americans on Cinco de Mayo
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on May 5th:
- Henry Cavill, Movie Star
- Adele, Pop Singer
- Chris Brown, Pop Singer
- Nathan Chen, Figure Skater
- Mitch Marner, Hockey Player
- Kevin Alston, Soccer Player
- Jay Rosen, Journalist
- Cinco Paul, Author
- Simon Rimmer, Chef
- Kevin McBride, Boxer
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#cincodemayo #guacit #fiesta #fiestafun #cincodedrinko