Father’s Day celebrates the contribution that fathers and father figures make in their children’s lives. Fathers, step-fathers, grandfathers and other male relatives or friends who have an impact on someone’s life are thanked on this special day. This year it falls on June 17th and in 2019 it falls on June 16th.
When is Father’s Day?
Father’s Day is celebrated on the third Sunday in June. In 2018, it falls on June 17th.
How is Father’s Day Celebrated?
- Many people send or give cards or gifts to their fathers typically in the realm of home improvement, electronics, and outdoor tools
- Go on an outing or vacation with your dad – camping, fishing, hiking, ballgame, concert, canoeing or road trip.
- Host a barbeque for your dad and the other men in your life.
- Make your dad breakfast in bed, or fix him his favorite treats.
Father’s Day Trivia/Facts:
- Father’s Day was officially recognized as a holiday in 1972 by President Nixon.
- Sonora Smart Dodd is credited with the establishment of Father’s Day. Her father raised six children by himself after the death of their mother, which was uncommon at that time. She felt that her father deserved recognition for what he had done and followed the lead of Anna Jarvis, who had established Mother’s Day.
- The first time Father’s Day was held in June was in 1910.
- Statistics show that children whose fathers are involved in their life in a beneficial way tend to do better in school and stay out of trouble.
- According to Hallmark, Father’s Day is the fifth largest card giving holiday.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on June 14th:
- George Cormack – Inventor of Wheaties cereal
- Barry Manilow – Singer/songwriter
- Igor Stravinsky – Composer
- Joe Piscopo – Actor/comedian
- Ruth Wakefield – Inventor of the chocolate chip cookie
- Newt Gingrich – Politician
- Kendrick Lamar – Rapper
- Ralph Bellamy – Actor
Popular Social Media Hashtags: