FRIDAY THE 13TH
Friday the 13th is considered an unlucky day. This is a superstition that has been around since the Middle Ages. It occurs when the 13th day of the month in the Gregorian calendar falls on a Friday, which happens at least once every year but can occur up to three times in the same year. In 2018, it will also occur twice on April 13 and July 13. There will be two Friday the 13ths every year until 2020, where 2021 and 2022 will have just one occurrence.
Type of Holiday?
Not an official holiday.
How is Friday the 13th Celebrated?
- Because Friday the 13th is associated with bad luck, this is a great day to get a good deal. Many people would prefer not to do anything on this date, leaving openings that otherwise would not be available.
- Buy a house – especially if it’s number 13. Historically there are lower transactions on this day and agents and bankers will usually have more free time to handle them.
- Get married! Since very few couples marry on this day many venues offer substantial bargains.
- Travel somewhere. Statistics show a drop in the number of travelers on Friday the 13th because many people fear bad luck (and many flyers are apprehensive already). Airlines will often offer incentives so that they are flying full planes.
Friday the 13th Trivia/Facts:
- One claim about the origin of the superstition of bad luck on Friday the 13th comes from the Last Supper, where there were 13 individuals present on the 13th of Nisan (Maundy Thursday). The was the day before Christ’s crucifixion on Good Friday.
- Psychologists have a term for this date, “paraskavedekatriaphobia” or fear of Friday the 13th.
- Some biblical historians have also claimed that the bad luck association is because it was the same day Eve bit the apple from the Tree of Knowledge.
- US President Roosevelt was also superstitious about this date and refused to travel on Friday the 13th.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on the 13th of April.
- Guy Fawkes – British conspirator
- Frank Woolworth – Businessman, founder of F.W. Woolworth Co.
- Butch Cassidy -Outlaw
- Max Weinberg – Rock drummer
- Bill Conti – Composer
- Billy Kidd – Skier
- Rick Schroder – Actor
- Al green – R&B singer
March 13th Birthdays:
- Neil Sedaka – Singer-songwriter.
- William H. Macy, Actor.
- Dana Delaney, Actress.
- Adam Clayton, Bassist of U2.
- Terence Blanchard, Jazz trumpeter.
- Common, Rapper.
- Khujo, Rapper of Goodie Mob.
- Danny Masterson, Actor (”That `70s Show”)
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#fridaythe13th #ilovehorror #superstitious