Friendship Day/Friends Day is a day to honor those people who we call ‘friends’. This day is a time to show them how much you appreciate them, how special and important they are to you and how you cherish their friendship. The day, first created by Hallmark in 1930, was intended to be a day for people to celebrate their friendship by sending each other cards.
When is Friendship Day?
This holiday is celebrated on the first Sunday in August.
August 1, 2021
How is This Special Day Celebrated?
- Send a card/flowers/gift thanking that special person for being your friend
- Get together with your friend for coffee/a meal/a movie/a weekend away
- Go hiking
- Call or video chat with a friend who doesn’t live close to you
- Plan something you know your friend has been wanting to do and help them cross something off their bucket list
- Look at old photos of the “good old days”
- Think of something you used to do together and try to revisit
Friendship Day Trivia/Facts:
- According to statistics, loyalty is the most valued quality in a close friend.
- Helen Keller is quoted as saying “walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light”
- Friendship Day is said to have been started by Hallmark
- Winnie the Pooh was the Ambassador of Friendship
- This holiday is celebrated by people all around the world
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on August 1st:
- Jason Momoa – Actor
- Explorer William Clark in 1770
- Francis Scott Key – Composer of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” in 1779
- Jerry Garcia – Musician co-founder of the Grateful Dead rock group, in 1942
- Coolio – Rapper
- Sam Mendes – film director
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#friendsday #friendshipday #hugafriend
Do you celebrate this day or is every day all about your friends? What do you do for the holiday?