International Earth Day:
Not to be confused with Earth Day, International Earth Day is celebrated on March 20th. The founder of this holiday was John McConnell, who died October 20, 2012 in Denver at the age of 97. His idea was to honor the Earth and the concept of peace.
The holiday is celebrated on March 20th, the first day of Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. If you are confused about Earth Day being celebrated a month apart – so are we. The first holiday falls on the spring equinox, March 20th, while the second one is held one month later, on April 22. Apparently, Earth Day is celebrated in April in the United States, but the “original Earth Day” is observed internationally on March 20th.
When is International Earth Day?
The same day as the Spring Equinox, March 20th
Type of Holiday?
How is International Earth Day celebrated?
Celebrations are held throughout the world
International Earth Day Facts:
- To celebrate the event, UN Secretary-General U Thant, signed a proclamation in 1971 declaring International Earth Day.
- The traditional observance of Earth Day is ringing the Japanese Peace Bell, a United Nations peace symbol. Similar celebrations happen around the world, where the bells sound in many big cities.
- Unplug appliances when not in use
- Turn off the lights
- Start a recycling program at your school or in your neighborhood
- If you’re not recycling then consider starting
- Turn off the water when you are brushing your tooth
- Organize or take part in a city-clean up event.
- Plant a tree
- Conserve, conserve, conserve
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on March 20th:
- Holly Hunter – Actress
- Baron Trump – President Trump’s youngest son
- Mr. Rogers – American Personality/Deceased
- Spike Lee – Director
- B.F. Skinner – American Psychologist
- Kathy Ireland – Model/Furniture Designer
Other interesting holidays celebrated in March include National Cereal Day, National Joe Day and National Potato Chip Day.
March 20th is also National Proposal Day.
What’s your favorite holiday to celebrate in March?
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#WorldEarthDay #earthday #gogreen