International Nurses Day
Nurse Appreciation Day is what International Nurses Day is all about. It’s about recognizing the contributions nurses make to society. Similar to National Nurses Day we honor those who help others, the difference is the day is celebrated all over the world. With all that is going on in the world in 2020 – the nurses deserve a special day more than ever. Nurses are the right hand to physicians so it is important to increase public awareness of the critical role they play in society and to show nurses how much they are appreciated. This special day is the last day of the week long celebration which happens to also end on Florence Nightingale’s birthday which is May 12th.
When is National Nurses Day?
Annually on May 12th
Type of Holiday?
How to celebrate International Nurses Day?
- Special banquets and parties are had to celebrate the achievements of nurses
- Speeches are given by government officials commending the nursing profession
- Send flowers or special gifts as tokens of appreciation given by management, patients, co-workers or family
- Present nurses with awards or pins for their service
- The American Nursing Association provides seminars on continuing education and professional development
- It’s all about the nurses -refer to the day as Nurse Appreciation Day.
- The International Council of Nurses (ICN) has celebrated this day since 1965.
- Each year, ICN prepares and distributes the International Nurses’ Day Kit.
- The day falls on Florence Nightingale’s birthday each year, May 12th
- Florence Nightingale is considered by many to be the founder of the nursing profession. She founded the first secular nursing school
- The first school for nursing in the United States was established in 1862. It was called the New England Hospital for Women and Children.
- In 2020 the theme for the day is “Nurses: A voice to lead – Nursing the World to Health.”
Famous Birthdays Celebrated on May 12th:
- Rami Malek – American Actor
- Emilio Estevez – American Actor
- Stephen Baldwin – American Actor
- Katharine Hepburn – American Actress, Deceased
- George Carlin – Comedian
- Florence Nightingale – Founder of Modern Nursing
- Samantha Mathis – American Actress
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#internationalnursesday #nursesday #appeciateanurse #nursesappreciationday