National Bagel Day
National Bagel Day is a holiday that focuses on celebrating the bagel. Sunday morning bagels are a staple in a number of households, ours included.A bagel is a bread product that originated in the Jewish communities of Poland in the 1600’s It is shaped by hand into the form of a ring from yeasted wheat dough, that is first boiled for a short time in water and then baked. The result of the process is a delicious, dense, doughy interior with a browned and exterior. Bagels are often topped with seeds baked on the outer crust, with the most popular ones being sesame, poppy and everything. The mostly breakfast dish has come a long way since they were first created with a wide variation of types that are sold including, the french toast flavor, wheat, gluten free and much more!
When is the Day Celebrated?
Traditionally it was celebrated in February but later changed by Thomas Bagels to January 15th. The reason they wanted to change the date was to avoid conflict with National Pizza Day.
How do we Celebrate the Day?
- Have friends or family over for the special treat.
- Bring some bagels to work.
- Bake your own.
Trivia about Bagel Day
- While the bagel has been around since the 1600’s, the day hasn’t been celebrated until the early 2000’s.
- It is not an official holiday.
- Bagels are one of the few breads that are boiled then baked. This creates a soft inside while keeping a crisp outside.
- Bagels originated in Poland in the early 17th centuryWhy do bagels have holes in them? Because it made it easier to run a string through a bunch of them to facilitate handling and transporting.
- There are over a billion dollars worth of bagels sold each year in the United States.
- The most delicious way to eat a bagel is with cream cheese and lox.
- Over the years, many flavors and varieties of bagels have sprung up across the USA.
- Cream cheese is a favorite topping on bagels.
- The bagel became a household staple in the 1970’s when Lenders began selling their frozen bagels to the masses, calling them the “Jewish English Muffin.”
Popular Social Media Hashtags
Celebrities who Celebrate their Birthday on January 15th
- Drew Brees. 40 – NFL Football Player
- Martin Luther King Jr. – Civil Rights Activist
- Ben Shapiro – Political Commentator
- Dove Cameron – Actress, Singer
- Jamie Clayton
- Aristotle Onassis – Business Mogul
- Pitbull – Singer
- Rachel Roy – Fashion Designer