National Banana Bread Day
Bananas came to the United States in the 1870s but didn’t appear in cookbooks until the 1930s when baking soda and baking powder became popular. Banana bread became more popular with the release of the Chiquita Banana Recipe Book in 1950. Food historians believe banana bread came about during the great depression when housewives did not want to throw away over-ripe bananas, the best ingredient for a good banana bread. Today there are many variations of banana bread – you can add raisins nuts, chocolate chips, or even make banana muffins.
When is National Banana Bread Day?
This holiday is celebrated every year on the same day, February 23.
Type of Holiday?
Unofficial. Fun holiday.
How is National Banana Bread Day celebrated?
National Banana Day is celebrated by baking banana bread. If you don’t like to bake you can go to any local supermarket or bakery and get one. And don’t forget it’s not just plain banana bread there are numerous variations that include ingredients like chocolate chips, berries, or nuts!
Check out some of our favorite banana bread recipes over at Genius Kitchen.
National Banana Day Trivia/Facts:
- Banana trees are considered giant herbs
- Bananas first arrived in the United States in the 1870s
- A cluster of bananas is known as a hande and each banana is called fingers
- Rubbing the inside of a banana peel on bug bites are said to relieve itching and inflammation
- Over 95% of American households purchase banana at least once a month
- Bananas are one of the only fruits harvested every day of the year
- Bananas grow in climates with a consistent season
- Banana bread now has many variations with added ingredients like raisins, nuts, and chocolate chips
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on February 23rd:
- Aziz Ansari – Comedian
- Emily Blunt Actress
- Josh Gad – Actor
- Dakota Fanning – Actress
- Andre Ward – Athlete
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#NationalBananaBreadDay #bananas #foodie
February is filled with a variety of holidays including Elmo’s Birthday, Stuffed Mushroom Day, National Wear Red Day and let us not forget World Nutella Day. We have you covered whether you are looking for a holiday in a specific month or industry – Special Days of the Month is your go-to place.