NATIONAL BEER DAY
National Beer Day is celebrated in honor of the day it became legal to buy, sell and drink beer and wine. If you are a beer lover, you can thank President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who signed a law in 1933 allowing people to buy, sell and drink beer and wine for the first time since Prohibition in 1920. The law did not affect restrictions on high-alcohol-content liquor, but it did allow people everywhere to legally crack open a cold beer and drink it without worry.
When is National Beer Day?
April 7th. Celebrated Annually.
Holidays Celebrated on April 7th:
National Beer Day
National Coffee Cake Day
World Health Day
National Girl Me Too Day
National No Housework Day
SAAM Day of Action – First Tuesday in April
Type of Holiday?
While you can officially drink a beer legally, the holiday is a fun holiday. No days off for this holiday.
How is National Beer Day Celebrated?
- Take a tour of a local brewery – there is sure to be one nearby with the growth of craft brewers.
- Most eating/drinking establishments will have specials with discounts, beer tastings and foods prepared with beer. Visit one with friends and have a taste test!
- Join a pub crawl (not that we are encouraging drinking too much).
- Invite friends over and every person should bring a different type of beer for tasting.
- Try a type of beer that you haven’t tasted.
National Beer Trivia/Facts:
- According to statistics, beer is the world’s most widely consumed alcoholic beverage. It is the third most popular drink overall following water and tea.
- Beer is one of the world’s oldest prepared beverages, possibly dating back to 9500 BC when cereal was first farmed since grain and hops are the main ingredients.
- Beer consumption has been found in the written history of ancient Iraq and ancient Egypt.
- There are more than 4,000 active breweries in the United States,
- According to the Beer Institute, roughly 1.75 million Americans have jobs as a result of the American beer industry.
- In the past decade, there has been a huge increase the number of small and independent craft brewers. Their numbers in the U.S. are at a record high.
Famous Birthdays on April 7th:
- William Wordsworth – Poet
- Tony Dorsett – Football player
- Walter Camp – Father of American football
- Russell Crowe – Actor
- Billie Holiday – Jazz singer
- James Garner – Actor
- Jerry Brown – Governor of California
- Francis Ford Coppola – Director
National Beer Day is also World Health Day! Which holiday will you be celebrating?