National Crayon Day
It’s only right that crayons have their own special day. Afterall, is there anyone who hasn’t used crayons or heard of Crayola crayons, the most popular brand of crayons out there? A crayon is a stick of colored wax, charcoal, chalk or other material used for writing or drawing. It is most commonly used by children. The Crayola brand was born in 1903 by Alice Binney, wife of company founder Edwin and a former schoolteacher.
When is National Crayon Day?
March 31st. Same day every year.
Type of Holiday?
Unofficial. Fun Holiday.
How can you celebrate National Crayon Day?
- Buy a new set of crayons
- Color a picture
- Read about the history of crayons
- Give your old crayons to any of the Crayola Collection venues that are accepting gently-used crayons. Crayola Collection then distributes the art supplies to schools in need.
- Share the classic story Harold and the Purple Crayon with your children or class.
- Plan a weekend getaway to one of the three Crayola Experience locations (Minneapolis, MN; Easton, PA; and Orlando, FL).
National Crayon Day Trivia/Facts:
- The most popular Crayola crayon box: 24 count
- The most popular crayon color is blue
- The world’s largest Crayola crayon is 15 feet high, 16 inches wide and weighing 1,500 pounds — and it’s blue
- The number of Crayola crayons produced to date: 223 billion
- The number of Crayola crayons produced daily: 13 million
- Crayola retired dandelion in 2017 on crayon day
- Since the introduction of Crayola, more than two hundred distinctive colors have been produced in a wide variety of assortments
- Today there are magic scented crayons, metallic crayons, glow in the dark crayons and many more varieties
- Crayola crayons are packaged in 12 languages and sold in 80 countries
The smell of crayons is the 18th most recognizable scent for adults in the U.S.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on March 31st:
- Al Gore – Politician
- Henry II – King of France
- Christopher Walken – Actor
- Johann Sebastian Bach – Composer
- Patrick McGee – Actor
- Gordie Howe – Hockey player
- Liz Claiborne – Fashion Designer
- Shirley Jones – Actress
Popular Social Media Hashtags: