National Food Day
National Food Day is a celebration of healthy, affordable and sustainably produced food. In other words it is an effort to promote clean eating or reduce the intake of sugar drinks, overly salted packaged foods and fatty, factory-farmed meats in favor of vegetables, fruits, whole grains and sustainably raised protein.
When is National Food Day Celebrated?
October 24th. Annually.
Type of Holiday:
How to Celebrate Food Day:
- Eat healthy and clean
- Eat fruits and vegetables
- Try and eat whole grain foods
- Reduce the amount of processed foods you eat today
- Watch your sodium intake
- Cook a healthy, clean meal for friends and family
- Resolve to try and eat clean for a period of time
- Clean out your refrigerator and get rid of sugar filled foods
- Exchange healthy food recipes with friends and family
Trivia and Facts About the Day:
- The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) initiated National Food Day in 2011
- More than 1/3 of people in the United Sattes are considered obese
- Paleo is a diet that encourages clean eating
- More than 10% of the calories in American’s diet is from sugar
- Fewer than 1 in 4 of the farms in the US earn gross revenues greater than $50,000
Hashtags to use on National Food Day:
Celebrities who celebrate their birthdays on October 24th:
- Adrienne Bailon – Actor, Singer
- Kevin Kline – Actor
- Tila Tequila – Reality Star
- Drake – Singer
Will you be celebrating Food Day?
While Food Holidays have nothing to do with Food Day – we thought we would share some of our favorite food holidays.