National Pasta Day
Pasta is one of the world’s most favorite foods! With more than 600 known pasta shapes – there are so many meals that can be made with pasta. From spaghetti, lasagna, rotini, to tortellini – a meal with pasta is definitely a must! Not only are there a number of choices as to what type of pasta you want, but you will also find it’s delicious and nutritious too. Pasta is the Italian word for dough. It can be enjoyed as a main course, or as a side dish. Top it with your favorite sauce or eat it plain or with butter and you are good to go.
Pasta was introduced in the United States by Thomas Jefferson, who fell in love with it after tasting it in Naples, Italy. He love it so much he brought back the first pasta maker to the U.S.
When is National Pasta Day?
How to Celebrate National Pasta Day:
- Celebrate with your favorite pasta dish
- Invite family and friends over for some pasta
- Exchange pasta recipes with friends and family
- Buy or borrow a pasta recipe book and make your own fresh pasta
Trivia/Facts for National Pasta Day:
- Pasta is the Italian word for dough
- Thomas Jefferson introduced pasta to the Americas after first tasting it in Naples, Italy. In 1789, he brought the first pasta machine, along with crates of macaroni, back to the United States.
- Pasta became a common North American food in the late 19th century with the surge in Italian immigration.
- Fresh pasta is different than dry pasta – as it is made with egg.
- The shape of the noodle gives the pasta its name.
- One of the most popular pasta dishes is Penne alla Vodka.
- Penne alla vodka is a pasta dish made with vodka and penne pasta. It is usually made with heavy cream, crushed tomatoes, onions, and sometimes sausage, pancetta or peas.
- Spaghetti is one of the most well-known types of pasta, followed by penne.
- All pastas taste the same. Since one shape may be thicker than others, it may seem to taste different because of how long you cook it. But cooked the way it is supposed to – there is no difference in the taste of pasta. (That doesn’t include ravioli or gnocchi which are both stuffed pastas.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthdays on October 17th:
- Eminem – Rapper
- Wyclef Jean – Musician
- Ziggy Marley – Singer
- John Rocker – former baseball player
Hashtags to use for National Pasta Day:
#nationalpastaday #mangia #everyonelovespasta
Some pasta recipes are so delicious they even have their very own day. Check out National Fettuccine Alfredo Day, celebrated in February. Other holidays to celebrate in October include National Pasta Day, National Sweetest Day, National Coming Out Day and many more!