Palm Sunday is the final Sunday of Lent and commemorates the arrival of Christ in Jerusalem, days before he was crucified. Palm Sunday also marks the beginning of Holy Week, a solemn week focusing on the final days of Jesus’ life. Holy Week culminates on Easter Sunday, the most important holiday in Christianity.
When is Palm Sunday Celebrated?
Palm Sunday is observed on the Sunday before Easter Sunday. For 2018 it is on March 25, 2018, For 2019 it is on April 14, 2019.
Type of Holiday:
How is Palm Sunday Celebrated?
- During Palm Sunday Mass, palms are distributed to parishioners who carry them in a ritual procession into church. The palms are blessed and many people will fashion them into small crosses or other items of personal devotion.
- In some countries, palms are placed on the graves of the departed.
- In colder northern climates, where palm trees are not found, branches of yew, willow, and sallow trees are used. The palms blessed in the ceremony are burned at the end of the day. The ashes are then preserved for the next year’s Ash Wednesday celebration.
Palm Sunday Trivia/Facts:
- Palm Sunday is known as such because the faithful will often receive palm fronds which they use to participate in the reenactment of Christ’s arrival in Jerusalem.
- Palm branches are widely recognized symbol of peace and victory, hence their preferred use on Palm Sunday.
- The colors of the Mass on this holy day are red and white, symbolizing the redemption in blood that Christ paid for the world.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on March 25th:
- Eileen Ford – Modeling executive
- Howard Cosell – Sportscaster
- James Moody – Jazz saxophonist
- A.J.P Taylor – English historian
- Lee Mazzilli – Baseball player
- Danica Patrick – Racecar driver
- David Lean – Director
Popular Social Media Hashtags: