WORLD OCEANS DAY
World Oceans Day is a day set aside to honor, help protect, and conserve the world’s oceans. The ocean is not only breathtakingly beautiful but it also helps the environment by providing many resources to the environment including oxygen, climate regulation and food sources. It also gives us medicine, and much more. World Oceans Day also provides an opportunity to take both personal and community action to conserve the ocean and its abundance of resources.
When is World Oceans Day Celebrated?
Annually on June 8th
How is World Oceans Day Celebrated?
- Organize friends and family to volunteer for beach cleanup – there is always a need to clean up the refuse deposited in our waters.
- Teachers can arrange an assembly at their schools teaching students about the abundance of plastics found in the oceans, and the danger of carbon emissions and other pollutants in our oceans.
- Hold a poster contest to raise awareness.
- Distribute flyers and/or stickers.
- The website worldoceannetwork.org has an exhaustive list of worldwide activities and events to celebrate the day and is your best resource for ideas.
World Oceans Day Trivia/Facts:
- The Government of Canada proposed the concept of a World Ocean Day, at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro in 1992.
- Every year there is a different theme. This year the theme is the danger of plastic pollution.
- About 71% of the earth’s surface is covered by water, and the oceans hold about 96.5% of all that water.
- The oceans contain nearly 200,000 identified species, but actual numbers may be much higher.
- The oceans absorb about 30% of our carbon dioxide output.
Famous Birthdays on June 8th:
- Barbara Bush – First Lady
- Frank Lloyd Wright – Architect
- Nancy Sinatra – Singer
- Robert Preston – Actor
- Joan Rivers – Comedienne
- Robert Morris – 1st successful African American lawyer
- Maria Menounos – TV Host
Popular Social Media Hashtags:
#worldoceansday #ilovetheocean #oceansday
Other holidays celebrated in June include Father’s Day, World Blood Donor Day, Eat Your Vegetables Day, Best Friends Day and many more!!