WORLD POETRY DAY
The purpose of World Poetry day is to promote the reading, writing, publishing, and teaching of poetry throughout the world. This holiday was created in 1999 by UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization).
When is World Poetry Day?
Annually on March 21st
Type of Holiday?
How is World Poetry Day Celebrated?
- Poets may be invited to read and share their work with audiences at bookstores, cafes, universities, and schools.
- Awards and other forms of recognition are made by various organizations to honor poets and their work.
- Exhibitions and poetry evenings are also held to showcase the work of various poets.
- You can go see a poetry slam show. This is usually a dramatic performance with poets reciting original poetry.
World Poetry Day Trivia/Facts:
- The first World Poetry Day was held on March 21, 2000.
- Poetry is defined as “a type of artistic expression that emphasizes feelings and ideas by using different styles and rhythm.
- The oldest love poem in the world was written on a clay tablet during the Sumerian times, which was around 3500 BC.
- Poetry slam was started by poet Marc Smith in 1986 at a Chicago Jazz Club. It is typically scored on a scale of 1-10 by a panel of judges.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on March 21st:
- Albert Kahn – Architect
- Rosie O’Donnell – Comedienne
- Geoffrey Dearmer – Poet
- Kathleen Widdoes – Actress
- Timothy Dalton – Actor
- Brad Hall – Comedian
- Gary Oldman – Actor
Popular Social Media Hashtags: