World Sleep Day
World Sleep Day is a day set aside to celebrate sleep. And who doesn’t want to celebrate sleep? It is also a call to action on important issues related to sleep, including medicine, education, social aspects and driving. This day was organized by the World Sleep Day Committee of World Sleep Society and aims to lessen the burden of sleep problems on society through better prevention and management of sleep disorders. World Sleep Day is held the Friday before Spring Vernal Equinox of each year. The first day sleep was officially celebrated was 10 years ago.
When is World Sleep Day?
Second Friday in March. March 16, 2018, March 15, 2019 and March 14, 2020.
Type of Holiday?
Unofficial. Fun Holiday.
How to celebrate World Sleep Day?
- Sleep in
- Stay in bed all day
- Have a sleep over
- If you have trouble sleeping – make a doctor’s appointment
World Sleep Day Facts/Trivia:
- Every year there is a slogan for WSD. In 2018 this day will incorporate the slogan, ‘Join the Sleep World, Preserve Your Rhythms to Enjoy Life,’
- Sound sleep is one of the three pillars of good health along with a balanced diet and regular exercise.
- There are close to 100 disorders of sleep, but most are modifiable and manageable with the help of sleep specialists.
- Individuals who get an entire night’s sleep without any interruptions experience lower rates of high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and other chronic illnesses.
- Sleep problems threaten health and quality of life for up to 45% of the world’s population.
- Better understanding of sleep conditions and more research into the area will help reduce the burden of sleep disorders on society.
- Good quality of sleep includes duration, continuity and depth.
- Most sleep disorders are preventable or treatable, yet less than one-third of sufferers seek professional help.
Celebrities who celebrate their birthday on March 16th:
- Lauren Graham – Actress
- Jerry Lewis – Comedian, actor
- Brooke Burns – Actress
- Victor Garb – Actor
- Flavor Flav – Rapper
- Monica Cruz – Actress
- Eric Estrada – Actor
- Chuck Woolery – Game Show Host
Popular Social Media Hashtags: